Saturday, November 10, 2012

CH 11 Q1

The media has a dynamic influence on individual’s personal opinions on worldviews and values. Depending on the certain television network, there will be certain biases that go with it. For instance, watching Fox news will sway a person’s political views because it is more conservative than liberal. The media is everywhere, and it is solely up to yourself, of what you watch and what you believe. There will be bias in anything you watch, but it is important to take in account other views and beliefs. In order to do so, one has to watch the same news or coverage of the same issue on maybe more than one different channel or source. The media expands our views because we often learn from what we repeatedly watch. In result, if we constantly watch a certain show, then we start to critically analyze the show, which ultimately expands the range of the overall media experience. At the end of the day, your interpretation of the media is what counts in the end. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Brian,
    I totally agree with your post about the media. I enjoy reading your posts because you always explain them in the simplest way. You are right that the media will always be bias in anything you watch. It is up to the viewer to agree to disagree. Knowing how much the media lies and uses a lot of misleading language to gain the public interest. I really dislike that the media does this constantly and people know but continue to believe the media. I feel like more people should have the initiative to investigate what the media says and not believe their every word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I agree that the media is very influential. It does a lot in shaping a person's beliefs and opinions. When I see media that speaks badly about something that I believe is good, I would either disagree with the reporter or look up some more facts to see what I believe in is actually good. Sometimes I would decide to disagree with the reporter and keep thinking what I want. Therefore here is definitely bias opinions. Most of the time, the people I want to disagree with are people who I believe do not have any proof to back themselves up. I would like to know both sides of something though. I think it is interesting to know the other side's opinion.
    rawrgles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey brian!
    I agree that the media has a dynamic influence on individuals personal opinions on worldviews and values. I have personally seen it happen first affect to many of my friends during the election. One of my friends within the last week totally switched his views from Obama to Romney with out basically any of his own though. He depended straight on what the media was saying to be true and did not second guess them one bit. The only reason I truly questioned his position is because he got all his information from fox news which their main goal is to make Obama look bad which they did and got his vote to change.
    -Mike Ross

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey B,

    It is funny that you made the comment about Fox news. It is not that I am more conservative or more liberal, but I did notice that once Obama won the election, the criticism was a little heavier on that network in comparison to others. I think that whether or not they are right has nothing to do with how people react to it. What they discuss could very well influence a person who perhaps is on the fence about a certain candidate. I think that it is unfortunate that our main newscasters and sources of news are not objective when it comes to the future of our country and pour in too much personal feeling into the whole situation.
    -CesarCOMM 41

    ReplyDelete