Saturday, September 8, 2012

Q3 Ch 3 From Boss Text

"Leadership and Decision Making in Groups and Teams"

Leaders will be anywhere, and everywhere. In any group assignment or team building exercise, there is some sort of leadership taking place. In the Boss text, Leadership is defined as "the exercise of interpersonal influence toward the attainment of goals. Essentially, the leader has an important influence on the people of the group and how the group performs. There are four different types of leaderships which are authoritarian, consultative, participative, and laissez-faire. The first is authoritarian which is similar to a dictatorship, in which the leader does not listen to any input from the group members, and instead takes control. Consultative leadership is when the leader bases his or her decisions on the group members. Participative leadership is the mutual leadership where the leader and the group members agree upon a common goal. Lastly, Laissez-faire leadership involves "no direct leadership" and the leader stays out of the way most of the time.

-Brian

2 comments:

  1. I thought this concept was interesting as well. I like how the text gave characteristics of each type of leadership. The fact that leaders will help their group/team succeed; this is a very important concept. Without a leader the group will just fall apart. I thought that the first 3 types of leadership were the most important. Authoritarian, consultative, and participative. I thought those 3 types were essential but a good leader would have all 3 balanced out. A little bit of authoritarian consultative, and participative. With those balanced out I think the leader would be able to help succeed their group/team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that there are leaders anywhere and everywhere as well. And that they come in different types because of how they were taught and how they adapted to their environment. I also agree with HelloRWAR's post, that a great leader would have all those qualities and know when you stress one more than the other. I also think that a great leader has great passion, which motivates their followers. I feel like throughout the years, I have experienced all four types of leadership. I found that I liked that ones that had good communication skills, was authoritative when needed, supportive, and gave us space to learn and grow.

    ReplyDelete