Saturday, September 1, 2012

Ch 6 Q2

Standing my ground

In my life there have been a couple times, where I had to stand my ground on an issue especially with the risk of losing my friends. During my sophomore year of high school, I joined the wrestling team because the coach persuaded me to join since they needed someone to fill in the 112 1b weight class. It was one of the first practices and I was just starting to get used to everything and I did not want to make a bad impression on the coach at all. Some of my new wrestling teammates thought it would be a good idea to smoke weed before practice. I was really skeptical about it and thought it was not the best idea because it was still one of the first couple practices. Unfortunately, I was in the same car as all of them and they offered me to smoke. After using my critical thinking skills, I declined and stood my ground with my decision. I told them how it is not really worth it because it was still the beginning of the season. Peer pressure did not faze me in this situation because in reality getting kicked off the wrestling team or even the school was not seem appealing at all. 

-Brian

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brian I agree with you. If it was me too I would also not have done it. I know that many people do it and society makes it seem "cool", but that is not what it is used for. It is only used for medicinal purposes and not just for fun. Many other people that don't have the amount of critical thinking skills as you have would have done it in a heartbeat. It must have also taken courage denying something like that towards your new wrestling teammates since they might not have liked you if you had disagreed with you and yet you stood your ground.

    ReplyDelete