Sunday, October 7, 2012

Q3 Evaluating Definitions


In my opinion, I like how Chapter 3 went thoroughly in-depth about evaluating definitions. I thought it was also interesting about how there are certain criteria that a good definition requires.  I wonder if all the definitions in any dictionary is certified from these 5 criteria. The first criteria are whether or not a good definition is neither too broad nor too narrow. My own example of a broad definition would include something broad such as defining a police officer as a regulator of the streets. The second criteria are that a good definition should state the essential attributes of the term being defined. The third is a good definition is not circular. The fourth criteria are a good a definition avoids obscure and figurative language. Lastly a good definition avoids emotive language. An example for the fifth criteria is that it uses more of a critical standpoint than an emotional one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment